- Our picnic ✓
- Snowball discussion ✓
- The changing face of beauty ✓
- Britain’s got talent ✓
- Reflection ✓
- Review Questions for next class: May, Nile & Tip
- Research Presentation
The changing face of beauty: Beauty in the modern world
The concept of beauty
- Male & female
- images are all around us
- constantly changing concepts of beauty
- started in 1910
- from luxury to routine
- hair transplants, pec implants, face lifts, tummy tucks
- Problem: “We choose to identify ourselves by our appearance.”
- We think “beautiful people lead better lives.”
- 1950: diet industry $100 million/year
- today: over $50 billion
“We choose to identify ourselves by our appearance.”
What does this mean? How true is this? List reasons for/against.
“beautiful people lead better lives”
- you have to work hard to maintain it
- it depends on your definition of better life: is being a ‘pretty’ really what you want?
- it’s hard to depend on: it’s changing
- beauty = superficiality?
Research this idea. Can you find evidence to support or contradict it?