- projector is essential, audio is nice
- Time: 20 minutes
- Level: Intermediate+
I have a puzzle for you. Dictate and discuss:
A woman stands in the middle of a court. She can’t believe what is happening. She has her hand over her mouth. She is speechless. What is going on?
What are all the different meanings of ‘court’ you can think of? e.g.:
- A court (of law)
- To take someone to court
- A royal court
- A basketball/badminton/tennis/squash/volleyball court
- Football/rugby/hockey pitch
- Ski slope
Show a still from the video. Ss can reconsider their answer.
Explain: it’s half time. The key is, who else is on the court. Who could it be?
- basketball players / referees / cheerleaders / mascots / unruly spectators
It’s her boyfriend. Can you guess what he’s doing?
- Who thinks the woman will say ‘yes’?
- Who thinks the woman will say ‘no’?
- Who wants the woman to say ‘yes’?
- Who wants the woman to say ‘no’?
- Is it a good idea for a man to propose in this way? Why or why not?
- Who do you feel more sorry for – the woman or the man? Why?